Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: News of _The_World_

From: drivax!liberato@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Jimmy Liberato)
Date: 5 Oct 89 17:07:32 GMT
Subject: Re: News of _The_World_
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu writes:

>   "all the amount of pleasure they get off _a_womans_body_ were
>    so round and white for them always I wished I was one myself
>    for a change"  [_Ulysses_, Penguin ed. page 638 lines 41-2.]

>    "id make a deal with god and get him to swap our places" [KT RUTH]

>    "He means that the _love_ so given to one near in blood is covetously
>      withhled form some stranger who, it may be, hungers for it.  Jews,
>      whom christians tax with avarice, are of all races the most given
>       to intermarriage.  Accusations are made in _anger_ ... "
>                         [_Ulysses_, chapter IX, lines 781-4]

>  ------------------------------------------ Julian -----------
> " The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there. "
>
> attribution, anyone?

L. P. Hartley, of course.  Hasn't every Love-Hound read _The Go-Between_?
(Or at least seen Harold Pinter's great screenplay)  Surely you didn't expect
that one to stump us!  :) :)

By the way, your incredible gleanings from aparent source material is much
appreciated and shows great research.  Good show!

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato
     "My life is conventional and uneventful.  It allows me to think with