Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gaffa [sic] / Dogma of The Dreaming

From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 513, CH2-59" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 10:06 PDT
Subject: Gaffa [sic] / Dogma of The Dreaming

>P.S. I thought Gaffa was a town in Israel. :-) :-)
>     (Just kidding, folks.  Notice the smiley faces?)

No, but you're close!  Kate carelessly mistranscribed the town name "Gafsa"
as "Gaffa".  Gafsa, I'm sure you're aware, is a city (mining center and
oasis) in west-central Tunisia (pop. 24,000).  Now the true meaning of the
song can be told.  Kate, _obviously_, traveled to Gafsa to do some consulting
work for the mines, but couldn't leave after she finished her work because of
some (unspecified) problem with her passport or visa--thereby leaving her
"Suspended in Gaffa [sic]".  Oh, and by the way, "Out in the garden there is
half of heaven" doesn't refer to a 16 track tape recorder--it refers to the
famous "Half of Heaven" ruins of Gafsa (a major tourist attraction), which
she could see from her hotel room.  :-)

>while listening to HoL in the car (hello earth, to be exact), it
>struck me that this is my absolute favorite album.  i was then
>afflicted with a sudden intense fear that kate would never be
>able to top this amazing work.
>
>-tracy,
>uunet!sco!tracyr,
>tracyr@sco.com

Heresy!  "The Dreaming" is Kate's best album.  In fact, it's the only
album that exists.  Its reality denies the existance of all other
albums.  :-)

-andy