Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: breathing death

From: rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff)
Date: 5 Oct 89 22:20:17 GMT
Subject: Re: breathing death
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@operations.dccs.upenn.edu

In article <8910051720.AA03664@cabot.dartmouth.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: juli@cabot.dartmouth.edu (Julian West)
>> [Kate considered setting Joyce's words rather than writing her own.]
>There seems to be no other way to interpret Kate's statement in the "London"
>interview. If this is true it is, as IED remarks, extremely exciting!
>Can anyone cite _any_ precedent for this in "pop" music?

Well, the show "Hair" used a passage from Shakespeare as the lyrics
for the song "What a Piece of Work is Man".  And the Byrds(?) adapted
a passage from Ecclesiastes for one of their songs (I'm not sure what
the actual title was, but the chorus starts with "To everything, turn, turn,
turn, there is a season, turn, turn turn").  I'm sure there have been others
as well.  Of course, in the case of Shakespeare and Ecclesiastes, the
copyright had expired!

   Robert