Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: breathing death

From: greg@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear)
Date: 6 Oct 89 12:34:06 GMT
Subject: Re: breathing death
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

In article <8910051720.AA03664@cabot.dartmouth.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: juli@cabot.dartmouth.edu (Julian West)
>> [Kate considered setting Joyce's words rather than writing her own.]
>There seems to be no other way to interpret Kate's statement in the "London"
>interview. If this is true it is, as IED remarks, extremely exciting!
>Can anyone cite _any_ precedent for this in "pop" music?  Perhaps in the
>future, other literary estates won't be so stubborn. (The Joyce estate
>was never known to be the most cooperative...)
>
>Julian

Well, yes I can cite a precedent.  Syd Barrett used James Joyce's words
for his song (I think it was) "Golden Hair" from 1969-70 ("Madcap Laughs" or
"Barrett", can't remember which).  There is a credit on the album stating
that Syd got permission to use the lyrics.
--

Greg O'Rear
University of Florida