Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

_TSW_, tiffs and Tiff

From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu
Date: 04 Oct 89 10:34:16
Subject: _TSW_, tiffs and Tiff

While I was visiting Joe Turner and Larry DeLuca this weekend (and
receiving a copy of a famous recording of _TSW_ -- thanks Joe!),
said Mr. Turner suddenly remarked that there was precedent all the
way back in _WH_ for Kate's adopting the point-of-view of the female
protagonist of an important novel.

What heroic times we live in, when almost _any_ rational, coherent
statement about a new song can be an original contribution to Kate
scholarship.  Here's mine:

Recall the departed days when we had only the title of the album (!)
and people were debating what Kate meant by "sensual"
-- (is that more like "sexual" or more like "sensory"?) .  In
typical Kate fashion she confounds us by including at least two distinct
meanings.  Firstly we have the sense of earthy, indulging the senses,
corporeal as opposed to intellectual; the sort of character, in fact,
that Molly Bloom is.  Secondly, and quite distinctly, we have the
sense of actual, involving the senses, corporeal as opposed to intangible;
belonging, that is, to the real world and not to the printed page.
This reading is supported by the lines "stepping out of the page" and
"it don't need words".

Okay, relatively trivial observation, but _I_said_it_first_.  Isn't that
great?  You can do this at home...

Kind of puts bickering about _Nice_to_Swallow_ in perspective, doesn't it?

 " The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there. "
                                                                  --
attribution, anyone?

PS:  > (Although, so far, no-one has rushed
       > forward in defense of reigning teenqueens Deb and Tiff.)

Not true!  Joe Turner has defended "Deb" on numerous occasions.