Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Implorings ..., new kid

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 89 09:36:41 EDT
Subject: Re: Implorings ..., new kid
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8910040220.AA04786@ucscc.UCSC.EDU> you write:
>Really-From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
>
>Further, I question whether Kate's fans should even _want_ her to be a
>multiplatinum superstar.  Major commercial success is inevitably followed
>by record company pressure to repeat that success.  I doubt that Kate
>would actually succumb to such pressure, but it is possible.

Boy you people are forgetful!  She already _is_ a megastar (maybe not
Multiplatinum, but amazingly popular anyway) is Britain!!  We are not
talking about a respectably weird band like Talking Heads making it
big in America with a few accidental hits, we are talking about severe
Madonna-like success, on a regular basis.  HoL was a HUGE seller in
Britain.  And anyway, on the subject of record company pressure, this has
already happened.  Remember what they said after the success of WUthering
Heights and The Kick Inside?  They said, "c'mon Katey darling, we need
another album RIGHT NOW.  We need product!  It's gotta move, now get to it!"
And what happened?  They rushed her into releasing "Lionheart" which
I think pretty much speaks for itself.

>Can you imagine the head of CBS Records deciding that Kate Bush could be
>as big as Madonna, with the right changes to her "image"?  I can.

I seriously doubt it.  She's been around for years, and most of her
records got to #1 in Britain (I think -- I know that two of them did
anyway.  The Dreaming, her least successful album, got to #3).

On the other hand, a listen to the _Sensual_world_ album may back up
your point.  If _Love_and_Anger_ isn't targeted at being a major top-40
american radio hit, then I don't know what is!!

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "A man's home is his coffin."        |