Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: microsoft!brianw@uunet.uu.net
Date: Thu Sep 28 20:02:27 1989

From: brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Things which should not be allowed.
Date: 29 Sep 89 03:02:24 GMT

In article <29646.8909240336@aipna.ed.ac.uk> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
>>Really-From: Andy Hynes <ahynes@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk>
>>5) Putting different tracks on cassettes/LPs/CDs.
>>   This is so annoying. The classic example was Everything But The Girl's
>>   "Idlewild". They put the single "I don't want to talk about it" on the
>>   cassette, but NOT on the CD, which costs twice as much as the cassette.
>
>Naa. The _worst_ example is Blacmange, Waves. They put a different, and
>much less interesting, version on the tape from that on the LP ( which
>was the single ).

No, no, NO, the WORST example is Jethro Tull's Under Wraps which has 4
(count 'em, that's four) songs on the CD that are not on the LP (two
which aren't on the cassette).  Thats over 15 minutes of new music!  That
happens to be a phenominal album from a group which I usually ignore
(there more recent albums do not measure up).  You might wonder why the
extra songs bother me?  because I still only purchase LPs, most of which
(Under Wraps, especially) sound identical to the CD in quality (except
for EMI/CBS, which unfortunately means that my KaTe albums of not of high
enough quality).

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP