Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Lyrics to contemplate, part 2

From: mas%bucsf.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Mark A. Semich)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 18:54:59 edt
Subject: Re: Lyrics to contemplate, part 2

In article <8909212231.AA06040@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>What do these lyrics have to do with gaffa?  can't you see we're
>too busy trying to pin down Joycean antecedents in the new KaTe
>single to contemplate pompous drivel like this?  Now go away.

Well, I for one found these lyrics very moving.  That certainly relates them to
gaffa.

I've always felt that one's emotional response to (and the emotional content
of) Kate's music is just as important as the technical complexities and
many allusions woven into Her songs.  Of course, these technical complexities
are part of what makes Her compositions beautiful and passionate, and are
some of the tools that She uses to create Her tapestries.  However, I think
it important that one not lose sight of the feelings behind them.

The posted lyrics weren't written by Kate (and may or may not have been a
result of the same technical acumen), but they were certainly Kate-related in
their emotional content.  In a sense, they may even be said to be Kate-
inspired, since Kate is God, and all artists need a Muse...

mark semich
mas@bucsf.bu.edu