Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: CD repairs

From: Jon Scheer <outback!wombat@rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 89 23:15:21 CST
Subject: Re: CD repairs

Steve,

   Here are two more ways to 'fix' CD's :

   Method 1 :
      Run tooth paste on the CD and 'polish' with soft cloth for a long
      time (5, 10, 15 minutes; until the disk is dry and the grooves
      filled in).  The idea is that the tooth paste fills in the grooves,
      reducing the *refraction* of light.  Tooth paste is a very good
      polisher (this from a friend who's dad is a dentist).  With the
      grooves filled in the light will pass through the tooth paste (the
      tooth paste doesn't stay white; it turns clear with polishing) and
      reflects off the metal as would in normal operation.

   Method 2 :
      Use car wax in place of tooth paste in the above procedure.

   I have tried these methods and they fixed a CD.  Well, the CD still
sounded awful, but it was Micheal Jackson's 'Bad' CD...  The CD didn't
skip any more (until we threw it across the room).  (A friend found the
CD along the road.  Yup, it looked like someone threw it out the car
window.  It didn't play at all until we 'fixed' it using the above with
tooth paste.)

   Oh yeah, use some tooth paste like Gleem or such.  CD's don't care much
about tarter control...

Jon

PS.  Feel free to post this to the net; I don't have 'postability' from
     my site.  Thanks.

PPS. I get 4012510f the profits if you market this!  ;-)

--
Jon C. Scheer
...{ uunet | mcdchg }!amtfocus!outback!wombat                      (Home)