Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various

From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 89 11:49:53 BST
Subject: Various

>From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>Subject: Mega-KT NEWS
>     Also, the album release date, according to a Chicago CBS rep,
>has been moved _up_ to October 9! (Thanks, thanks, thanks, Vickie!)

Is this really true? The album will be out in the US before GB.
"Say it aint so, Joe."
It is bad enough having gone into my local record shop and been told
that they had not ordered the Kate Bush single becuase they "did not
want to take the risk up-front". Then when I protested they told me
"it was no big deal". What can you say to people like that?

>From: djjouellette@lion.waterloo.edu (Daniel JJ Ouellette)
>PS, and don't flame me for this.  This is about the song 'And dream of
>sheep" (spelling is off I know that)
>
>To me that little section in the middle where a voice comes in sounds like
>a radio anouncer and he is giving a radio forcast.

The message is a shipping report. IED, MarK T Ganzer and myself came
up with the following transcription:
"Attention shipping information in sea areas including Bell Rock, Tiree,
 Cromaty, gale easterly ... Malin, Sellafield"
The section appears to have been put together by Kate rather than being
taken from an actual broadcast.

>Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)
>All right Love-Hounds, the gauntlet has been thrown at our
>collective keyboards.  I've just heard from another incurable
>netter that those neophyte peuks over on the Dylan net have been
>congratulating themselves on having the first newsgroup devoted to
>a single musical artist.  Who are they kidding?  We've been here
>forever, or at least since 1986 when I started grad school.  And
>who do they eulogize?  Some drug crazed sixties throwback who
>sounds like a tortured geezer piped through an AM radio speaker to
>make full use of his half octave range.  I mean the guy looks like
>Yassir Arafat's half brother with mange and his lyrics are
>plaintive and puerile compared to Kate's.  Really, the whole
>subject makes me sick.
>
>The ONLY thing Bob Dylan ever did right was make an album that was
>exactly the right size for use as a washer to hold the rear deck
>of my 74 Capri together long enough to sell it.  He also created
>one that was perfect to place under the New Mexico sun as a heat
> (more crap omitted)

What pathetic drivel. It's people like you who give this news group
a bad name and play into the hands of people like Tim M. What were
you on when you wrote this crap? Grow up or think before you post.

Let's get a few things straight. I subscribe to rec.music.dylan and
have been very impressed with the lack of noise compared to most
news groups. The amount of useful information I have picked up from
postings in just a few weeks has been considerable. You certainly
do not have to wade through such infantile gibberings as your vapid
piece above. Also, nobody that I know of has made any righteous claims
about the Dylan group being the first of its kind. The Grateful Dead
have had a newsgroup since the year dot!

As for Dylan's songwriting: if you really believe what you have
written then you clearly have no real appreciation of music and
one wonders what you are doing listening to Kate. Which is not to
say that Dylan has not made some pretty dire stuff - he has, but
he has also written many great songs.

If your posting was meant as a joke then it was a poor failure.
Carry on like this and not only will you have a news group devoted
to one artist but also a news group with one reader.

Neil