Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mori Kante, Vaughan Williams revisited

From: <RICHARD%HNYMPI52.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 89 10:54 N
Subject: Mori Kante, Vaughan Williams revisited

>His name is Mori Kante - retty close to your spelling.  Don't know what label
>he's on, but try looking for british imports for 'Something Inside So Strong'
>which he had a hit in the UK with 1 or 2 years ago

  'Something Inside So Strong' was a hit single by Labi Siffre, a
  completely different artist with a completely different background!

>Can anyone recommend, from a LoveHound's point-of-view, other Vaughan
>Williams pieces?  Any specific recordings or artists to keep an eye
>open for (especially on CD)?

  His 'London Symphony' (I suppose this is his sixth) is a grand and
  impressive work, but not as distinctive and certainly not as enchanting
  as 'The Lark Ascending' - definitely my favourite piece. Try his
  'Symphonia Antarctica', striking for its novel use of a combination of
  orchestra, soprano voice and ... wind machine!! There is a good recording
  I know of conducted by Bernard Haitink, though I can't remember the
  orchestra.