Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Vaughn Williams (was: Re: Mailbag)

From: claris!wombat@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Scott Lindsey)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 89 21:00:14 PDT
Subject: Vaughn Williams (was: Re: Mailbag)

   Ooh, synchronicity!  I just got my first Vaughn Williams (Thomas
   Tallis and Greensleeves).  The only other V. W. I've ever heard
   is the English Folk Song Suite (for which I am still looking for
   a good CD version).

   Can anyone recommend, from a LoveHound's point-of-view, other Vaughn
   Williams pieces?  Any specific recordings or artists to keep an eye
   open for (especially on CD)?

As yet, I've only found one CD with the Folk Song Suite on it:
British Music for Concert Band, The Central Band of the Royal Air Force,
Eric Banks, conductor; EMI CDC 7 49608 2.  It also has music by Holst and
Grainger.  I'm fairly satisfied with it, but not as impressed (certainly not
with the Holst pieces) as with  Fennell and the Cleveland Winds' treatment of
Holst's Suites on Telarc.  If you like these composers' arrangements of
traditional English folk tunes, there's another CD with works by Gustav Holst,
Vaughan Williams, Delius, & Warlock; EMI CDC 7 47812 2, by the Bournemouth
Sinfonietta & Symphony Orchestra with Norman Del Mar, conductor.