Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Heroine death (one last time, I promise)

From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 89 18:07:22 PDT
Subject: Re: Heroine death (one last time, I promise)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Quoted-From: tlh@PacBell.COM (Lee Hounshell)
>Actually, at the end of THE WALL, everything starts over again.  If you
>listen very carfully to the last two seconds of the end of the second disk,
>you will hear "Isn't this where.."  and then the first two seconds of the
>first disk has "I came in?"

Yeah, everybody knows that.  That's why I asked if he dies.  The first
side begins with him getting born, so there would seem to be some sort
of cyclic view of rebirth expressed here.  This seems a bit mystical
for Waters, but then, the old wheel of life is traditionally supposed
to be a sort of spiritual trap from which one ought to escape, and
that fits in with the fatalistic theme of the album.

>So looking at the loop objectively, I'd have
>to say "No, Pink doesn't die.  He just gets caught in a time warp.  :-)"

Yeah, that's it, there's this spinning black hole outside the wall,
see, and he gets sucked in, (falling, like a stone) and emerges back at
the start of the album.  he's thrown out of the delivery room and
turned over to the police, who put him behind a new wall.  On release,
he becomes a schoolteacher, and....

Have you met my wife, Morgan Fairchild?

"I was brought up in the other service; but I knew from the first that the
 Devil was my natural master and captain and friend.  I saw that he was in
 the right, and that the world cringed to his conqueror only from fear."
    - Shaw, "The Devil's Disciple"