Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: west-coast KaTemas

From: relph@presto.ig.com (John M. Relph)
Date: 12 Jul 89 19:22:04 GMT
Subject: Re: west-coast KaTemas
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8907121812.AA18682@hop.toad.com> tim@toad.COM (Tim Maroney) writes:
>It's kind of you to think of me.  However, I find devotional
>personalities highly annoying, and for that reason, I would no more
>consider attending a "KaTemas" party than I would, say, a Neo-Pagan
>summer solstive ritual.

Well, I would consider attending a party with such people, merely
because I wouldn't mind meeting some of these people with no faces
that address me at my screen every day.  It would not be my goal to
come to such a gathering for the purpose of "worship" (KT, Neo-Pagan,
or otherwise), and besides, I don't think I have a "devotional"
personality (though I may be annoying in spite of that fact).  I would
not assume that all of these people who read Love-Hounds (aka Gaffa)
are "worshippers", after all, I have at least two examples to the
contrary (you, Tim, and myself).

Unfortunately, your statement that you wouldn't consider attending has
the effect of representing yourself as a person who, because of your
non-devotional personality, is superior than those other low-minded
folks who would consider attending.  This appears to be a very
conceited attitude, no matter its intentions.

>  I prefer my minds unfettered.

The truth is told.  :-)

But if you think you would be placing your mind in fetters by
attending such a possibly ritualistic assembly such as a Katemas party
or a neo-pagan ritual (not to mention the odd Christian wedding --
ever been to one of those?) then you are admitting that you have a
weak mind, and would be "converted" merely by association.  Which I
doubt.

C'mon Tim, give us some credit.  We're not as dumb, as "devotional",
nor as rude as you think.  Although I'll be the first to admit that I
have no morals and that I'm an asshole.

So, where's the Northern California Katemas Party?

	-- John
--
Be careful what you say about others