Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

oh england...

From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 89 18:15:40 PDT
Subject: oh england...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

well, i confess, i haven't owned _lionheart_ that long; only
about a month (better late than never).

it keeps getting better (am i the only one who listens to a cd
over and over again, to the exclusion of everything else, when
i first get my hands on it?  people say i'm strange).

i am particularly overwhelmed by _wow_ and _oh england
my lionheart_.  yes, i know, i've heard of these before, but
never studied them myself.  i resist the temptation to
interpret _wow_ as KaTe's reflections on her own career
("we're all alone on the state tonite, we've been told
we're not afraid of you..."); but rather, an insightful
look from an actor's perspective (KaTe being the mistress of
empathy that she is).  i believe this is one of her best
songs.

and what can i say about _oh england my lionheart_?  i only
know a lump forms in my throat when i hear it.  i haven't been
able to analyze it any further than that.  has anyone else
experienced this response?

someone told me once that _lionheart_ is the collection of songs
that were rejected for TKI.  is this true?  hard to believe these
are rejects of Any kind...
(altho the style is similar to TKI)

one more note:  i think jennifer already mentioned this, but
the lyrics server of _lionheart_ *should* say, "say hello, to
the soft musk of her hollows" in the lyrics for _the warm room_.
(it currently says "mush" instead of "musk").  apologies if this is
redundant info--glad to hear ied will facilitate updating the
server soon.  (btw, if you get a listing of all lyrics server
albums, there are 2 beatle albums and All kate bush albums--
how telling!)

"i don't want to go"

-tracy
...!uunet!sco!tracyr,