Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

watch out for cd labelling

From: rpk@goldhill.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 89 13:20:29 EDT
Subject: watch out for cd labelling

    From: gregr@basser.oz (Greg Ryan)

    In article <QYgYIFS00WBMA1bVIN@andrew.cmu.edu> "William M.
    Bumgarner" <wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes

    >> The import (from UK) CD's of Kate Bush are mastered ADD instead
    of the US

    I'd be careful of the [AD][AD]D labelling that companies put on
    their CDs.  An ADD disc would require a remix of the album from
    the multitrack to a digital master and I don't believe this has
    been done in that case of any Kate Bush albums.  You should take
    these labels with a grain of salt.  Remember that the first CD
    releases of Beatles material claimed ADD as well, which would have
    been a neat track in the mid '60s.

But weren't they indeed digitally remixed ?  I was under the
impression that George Martin, Geoff Emerick, and Paul McCartney
remixed the original three-track masters.  (Not that they were trying
to really make them sound different, of course.)  There might have
even been some slight treatment with digital reverb.

Anyway, ADD and AAD do often get confused by pop record companies, as
we've seen in the case of Kate...