Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net
Date: Fri Jul 7 11:53:37 1989

Subject: Re: Royalties paid by non-profit stations
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>This is actually a major source of irritation for many alternative radio
>stations.  ASCAP and BMI do playlist surveys, to see what songs are being
>played how much.  They base the artist payments on the results of these
>surveys.  And they generally only survey large mainstream radio stations,
>completely ignoring college stations and other alternative stations.  So,
>all those artists that only get played by alternative stations (including
>Kate) generally don't get any royalties for radio play.

An alternative station in my home town, Lincoln Nebraska, kept a log book
of what they played, and I presume sent it in to BMI and ASCAP.  D.J.s were
not required to records what they played, but it was understood that it was
a _good thing_ to record it.  I don't know how many knew why they recorded
their playlists, but most did it.  I never worked there, but I hung around
with several people who did, and hung out at the station occasionally.

	Steve Schonberger	microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net