Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mailbag for Friday, June 16

From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 13:04:32 PDT
Subject: Re: Mailbag for Friday, June 16
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Quoted from: mcvax!eutrc3.urc.tue.nl!rcbamw@uunet.UU.NET (m.waucomont)
>Sleep? Sleeping = dreaming, DREams Are Meant To Illuminate ME.

No, sleeping != dreaming.  In fact, you spend a distinct minority of
your sleep time dreaming.

>Hand over? Boy, I would get on a plane and go to the UK to hand it over
>to Her personally!!!!

Save me a ticket -- if this would work, I'd send off for the tape in
a shot!

>But now serious: I must admit that I can not but agree with your point of
>view. It _is_ not very nice to duplicate someone's work (lyrics, music) if
>the person concerned has expressed not to agree with this. And this can be
>in the form of a personal wish or by copyrighting the material. Eventhough
>I doubt that the material is copyrighted, I respect Her wish not to distribute
>her early material. But I would like to see that confirmed. So far, I have
>only heard rumours. I would love to find out about Her opinion.

Thanks for the support.  IED has made his source clear, and it seems to be
correct that she does nto want this stuff distributed.  As has also been
pointed out, there are five songs there which *have* been released; if
she lets them be distributed freely, she loses the copyrights on those
songs.  It was remotely possible she wouldn't mind the unreleased songs
falling into public domain, but no way on the released songs.  Period.

>Second thought: The first music I had from Kate was a copy on tape from
>Lionheart. Needless to say that it was ILLEGAL, PIRATED etc. But this tape
>made me decide I wanted the real (LEGAL) copy. I have bought *ALL* her
>albums in a similar way: first I 'obtained' an illegal copy on tape,
>listened to it, fell in love with it and _then_ bought it.

Me too.  However, the person who had the pirated tape was a millionaire
who could have readily afforded a legitimate copy, and I disapprove
strongly of his moral failure in this regard.

>>Tim Maroney, Mac Software Consultant, sun!hoptoad!tim, tim@toad.com
>              ^^^
>Have you got only - I mean without one exeption! - purchased copies of
>the Finder?

You don't purchase copies of the Finder.  Upgrades are free.
Postal: 424 Tehama, SF CA 94103; Phone: (415) 495-2934

"There's a real world out there, with real people.  Go out and play there for
 a while and give the Usenet sandbox a rest.  It will lower your stress
 levels and make the world a happier place for us all." -- Gene Spafford