Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mailbag for Friday, June 16

From: mcvax!eutrc3.urc.tue.nl!rcbamw@uunet.UU.NET (m.waucomont)
Date: 22 Jun 89 19:56:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Mailbag for Friday, June 16
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8906210232.AA10737@hop.toad.com> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
>In article <736@eutrc3.UUCP> quoth Michel Waucomont:
>>Please let the quarrel about obsKuriTies II being illegal stop! I don't want
> [stuff about me expressing my sadness about this deleted]
>Aaaawwww.  You might have to actually think about the interests of
>the artist you are insulting, as if she were a real human being instead
>of a goddess?  Tsk, tsk, I feel so ashamed for disturbing your sleep.
Sleep? Sleeping = dreaming, DREams Are Meant To Illuminate ME.

>                                         I can't say for sure that this
>will happen, but it is quite possible that you will be contacted and
>asked to hand over your tape.
Hand over? Boy, I would get on a plane and go to the UK to hand it over
to Her personally!!!!

But now serious: I must admit that I can not but agree with your point of
view. It _is_ not very nice to duplicate someone's work (lyrics, music) if
the person concerned has expressed not to agree with this. And this can be
in the form of a personal wish or by copyrighting the material. Eventhough
I doubt that the material is copyrighted, I respect Her wish not to distribute
her early material. But I would like to see that confirmed. So far, I have
only heard rumours. I would love to find out about Her opinion.

Second thought: The first music I had from Kate was a copy on tape from
Lionheart. Needless to say that it was ILLEGAL, PIRATED etc. But this tape
made me decide I wanted the real (LEGAL) copy. I have bought *ALL* her
albums in a similar way: first I 'obtained' an illegal copy on tape,
listened to it, fell in love with it and _then_ bought it.

>Tim Maroney, Mac Software Consultant, sun!hoptoad!tim, tim@toad.com
              ^^^
Have you got only - I mean without one exeption! - purchased copies of
the Finder?

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont