Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mailbag for Friday, June 16

From: mcvax!eutrc3.urc.tue.nl!rcbamw@uunet.UU.NET (m.waucomont)
Date: 26 Jun 89 13:11:45 GMT
Subject: Re: Mailbag for Friday, June 16
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8906232004.AA14941@hop.toad.com> tim@toad.COM (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Quoted from: mcvax!eutrc3.urc.tue.nl!rcbamw@uunet.UU.NET (m.waucomont)
>>Sleep? Sleeping = dreaming, DREams Are Meant To Illuminate ME.
>
>No, sleeping != dreaming.  In fact, you spend a distinct minority of
>your sleep time dreaming.

I know.. I was just hinting at DRE-A-M-T-I-ME ;-)))

>>>Tim Maroney, Mac Software Consultant, sun!hoptoad!tim, tim@toad.com
>>              ^^^
>>Have you got only - I mean without one exeption! - purchased copies of
>>the Finder?
>
>You don't purchase copies of the Finder.  Upgrades are free.

What I meant to say is, that if you read the Copyright Law carefully, you
will notice that you are allowed to only have *ONE* disk with the software,
wich may be loaded into the computers memory for execution. This is the
only form of duplication allowed. But all Macintosh users I know have
*multiple* copies of the Finder. That is illegal. Indeed the Mac comes with
the Finder and indeed upgrades are free, but you _are supposed to_ boot from
the original floppy. No  copies allowed... says the law. So, if you stick
to the letter of the law, all Macintosh users violate the Copyright Law and
should be prosecuted.

The point I am trying to make is that I feel laws are meant to protect the
creator of a product as well as the consumer. Imagine what would happen if you
would actually have to *buy* every *copy* of the Finder you are using.... The
'law behind the circeled c' (and the Finder definitely IS copyrighted, just
check the about box!) says you are supposed to do so... but it is a tacit
agreement between Apple and its users that they won't be prosecuted for
dragging the System and Finder icon happily all over their disks.

What I am propagating is that the law should be interpreted a little less
vigorous as it has been in this newsgroup lately. I am definitely not
advocating anarchy, but a bit more humane behaviour would be most welcome.

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont