Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: How do you listen for the first time?

From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 13:13:32 PDT
Subject: Re: How do you listen for the first time?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Quoted-From: barth@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Richards)
>A good case in point is the Sugarcubes album.  When I first got it, I
>thought it was pretty cool.  Then I read the lyrics, and it seemed like the
>lyricist was trying very hard to be "deep" in a language he (or she) couldn't
>speak very well.  They came across as sophmoric and clumsy, which made it
>difficult for me to listen to the album without smirking, but I've since
>learned to listen to the music and ignore the lyrics (sort of).

Speak for yourself!  (Yeah, I know, you are, but it's the ritual
response and I'd hate to offend traditionalists.)  I think the lyrics
of the Sugarcubes' songs are a perfect complement to the LSD-inspired
performance style.  "This is hot meat, this is metallic blood...."

The imagery is evocative and powerful.  The lyricist has a deep grasp
of the natural rhythm of language and could easily have been a
postmodern poet rather than a song writer.  Yes, there is a certain
naivete to the style; naive style is "in" these days, and with good
reason.  These people may not be Tutuola, but they are damn good.
Postal: 424 Tehama, SF CA 94103; Phone: (415) 495-2934

"Women's wages are 56% of men's -- but that's not necessarily evidence
 of discrimination in employment."
  -- Clayton Cramer in news.groups and soc.women