Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: How do you listen for the first time?

From: barth@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Richards)
Date: 27 Jun 89 15:52:46 GMT
Subject: Re: How do you listen for the first time?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8906232013.AA15154@hop.toad.com> tim@toad.COM (Tim Maroney) writes:

>Quoted-From: barth@ihlpf.ATT.COM (me)
>
>>A good case in point is the Sugarcubes album.  When I first got it, I
>>thought it was pretty cool.  Then I read the lyrics, and it seemed like the
>>lyricist was trying very hard to be "deep" in a language he (or she) couldn't
>>speak very well.  They came across as sophmoric and clumsy, which made it
>>difficult for me to listen to the album without smirking, but I've since
>>learned to listen to the music and ignore the lyrics (sort of).
>
>Speak for yourself!  (Yeah, I know, you are, but it's the ritual
>response and I'd hate to offend traditionalists.)  I think the lyrics
>of the Sugarcubes' songs are a perfect complement to the LSD-inspired
>performance style.  "This is hot meat, this is metallic blood...."
>
>The imagery is evocative and powerful.  The lyricist has a deep grasp
>of the natural rhythm of language and could easily have been a
>postmodern poet rather than a song writer.  Yes, there is a certain
>naivete to the style; naive style is "in" these days, and with good
>reason.  These people may not be Tutuola, but they are damn good.

Hmmm...well, I guess all I can say is that I'm glad *you* enjoy them.

Perhaps I would like their Icelandic lyrics better, as the lyricist(s)
would be working in a more familiar language.  The CD of their album includes
a couple songs in Icelandic, but the lyric sheet did not include the Icelandic
lyrics.  Does anyone know where these, and any other of their Icelandic
lyrics, could be gotten?

And who's Tutuola?

  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
  88                                                                       88
  88  Language is a virus from outer space.          Barth Richards        88
  88                                                 AT&T Bell Labs        88
  88                                                 Naperville, IL        88
  88         - William S. Burroughs                  !att!ihlpf!barth      88