Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 17:33:13 PDT

When I started this letter, I intended to convince IED to continue on
with the project for the simple reason that I want 'my' tape.  However
the more I wrote, the more my arguments took on the quality of those in
"Chariots of Fire" (c) 1981 when the British Olympic committee tried to
convince the christian runner Eric Liddel to compete on Sunday: "We
know what we want you to do, our job is to help you rationalize doing
it".  So if IED doesn't want to make tapes, I'm behind him 100%.  After
all he's got to live with himself first, BUT first let's look at some
alternatives.

1)  Does the copyright/public domain argument hold up?
I'm curious to know the resolution of this.

2)  We could send out copies to people who would in turn make copies
like the Cathy demos.  While probably not legal either, it is
attractive because a) it's been done before, b) if one of us gets in
trouble, we'll all go down.  While neither of these reasons are
elegant, they do appeal to the great human herd instinct.

3) We let Kate decide.

I vote for alternative #3.  Finally, I'd like it to make some comments
on Tim Maroney's letter to IED.  I didn't like it; it was shrill,
self-rightous, and the rape metaphor was particularly offensive.  Tim's
follow up missive to Michel Waucomont had all the deep introspection
and respect for the subject matter as a Geraldo Rivera documentary.
You won the argument Tim, now do yourself a favor and shut up.  Despite
Tim's TV evangelist tone, he does raise some valid and disturbing
points.  Nevertheless it is all too easy to criticize someone who takes
it upon himself to accomplish something.  The communist peasant
mentality of fearing such people because it makes them look "bad" by
comparison is common, understandable, and ugly.  I admire IED for
taking it upon himself to make tapes for people he has never met,
something I would never do for reasons of pure laziness.