Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: royalties, etc.

From: bloch%mandrill@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)
Date: 23 Jun 89 00:37:16 GMT
Subject: Re: royalties, etc.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nobody%sdcsvax@ucsd.edu

"Andy Gough" <AGOUGH%FAB6@sc.intel.com> writes:
>>It's not the people who make tapes of radio shows, obscure B-sides,
>>and demos and trade them with their friends or members of some
>>(possibly indistinct) fan club.  It is a well-orchestrated
>>professional bootleg armada that charges an arm and a leg ...
>
>The industry estimates it lost $1 billion in revenue last year due to
>illegal copying.
How much of that is home copying, and how much is the "professional
bootleg armada"?

>Except the artists' get a $1.00 royalty per song on each album sold.  So
>you can't steal from the record companies without stealing from the
>artists' as well.
Let me see...if I count right, _TD_ has ten songs, and _HOL_ has twelve.
I don't recall paying much more than $10 and $12 respectively, probably
less.  Is EMI that altruistic?

"The above opinions are my own.  But that's just my opinion."
Stephen Bloch