Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tapes again

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 18:26:10 BST
Subject: Tapes again
Posted-Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 18:26:10 BST

>From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>Neil Calton suggested some interesting possible reasons
>for the (relatively) small number of people who have ordered the
>_obsKuriTies_2_ tape. IED would love to believe that any of those
>reasons was the true explanation for the poor showing, but unfortunately
>there is one crucial and unavoidable fact which refutes all of Neil's
>suggested excuses: namely, that more than _130_ people rushed to
>order a copy of the _first_ _obsKuriTies_ tape when it was offered in
>Love-Hounds a couple of months ago. The only differences between that
>offer and the present one are that this time $6.50 is being asked, and
>that this time the tape includes fifteen previously unheard KT songs,
>whereas the first one only included two!

No I think there is an important difference - the first _obsKuriTies_ tape
was a very spontaneous affair. An initial idea took off and blossomed
with a few enquiries turning into a torrent of requests. It was a case
of several people mucking in and doing a bit of copying, it was - if
the people concerned will forgive me - rather a Heath Robinson style effort.

This time it all seems more mechanistic - professional tape copying firms,
bulk production, pre-set price. While I understand the logistical reasons
behind this and accept that IED will make no profit, it still seems like
dealing with a mail order company. Whereas before it was just people getting
together and sharing things amongst themselves. The difference may be subtle
but it could explain why some people have decided to sit this one out. Mind
you, I never sent off for the first tape - so who am I to say. Guess that
makes my "bushiness" down on the minus scale. And while we are on the subject
can those responsible cut out the "bushier" than thou discussions.

>     Why do you assume Kate won't tour the U.S. this time, Tracy? IED
>thinks it's quite possible that if Kate does tour at all, she will make
>at least a brief stop in the U.S. to concertize.
IED can be forgiven for many things: copying of bootleg material, admitting
that he does not really think Kate Bush is God, re-considering his role
in this group... but not this destruction of the English language. 8-)

Neil