Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KopyrighTs

From: mcrware!jejones@uunet.uu.net (James Jones)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 11:42:30 CDT
Subject: Re: KopyrighTs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8YbQwOy00Vs88K=m5z@andrew.cmu.edu> you write:
>Really-From: Michael Portuesi <mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
>I'd be willing to bet that the Kate Demo tapes are probably public
>domain, if my limited knowledge of copyright law serves me correctly.
>Basically, in order to copyright something, you must declare it
>copyrighted with the incantation:
>
>Copyright (c) 1989 Michael Portuesi
>
>where the (c) is that special character with the "c" in a round
>circle.  Either this special character or the term "Copyright" must be
>used.

That was true in the US up until March or April of this year, when we agreed
to go by the terms of the Berne Convention on copyright.  Under said conven-
tion, which I believe England has been using along with lots of other
countries for a long time now, the explicit notice is *not* necessary for
a work to be copyrighted.

	James Jones