Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RefleKTion...

From: beyer@frith.egr.msu.edu (Don W Beyer)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 11:47:03 EDT
Subject: RefleKTion...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: Thomas.LeMense@frith.egr.msu.edu

	I too am not sure about the legal implications of the tapes
discussed in this group for the last week or so, but I tend to look
at it this way:

Since you are reading this post, you read this group, and more than
likely are a Kate devotee.  Well, if you are anything like myself or
the Kate Bush fans that I know, you already have bought all the legit
material she has made on both album and CD, as well as having books,
fanzines, etc.  The purchase of a demos tape with dubious, if not
non-existent copyright protection, for the mere price of materials and
distribution...well, it tends to fall into the noise floor.  Suppose
I walked into EMI and asked for fifty promotional copies of this
material, had it been released.  EMI would have laughed and given me
fifty, and fifty more for the road...

Had IED asked for $10 a crack (still cheap, by bootleg standards) and
planned to make a couple thousand of these things, well, that would
strike me differently...

As I said, this is merely the way I look at it, but I think that if
maybe a lot more things in this world were held in this same
perspective, we would spend less time taking each other to court and
spend more time in a more constructive fashion!