Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KopyrighTs

From: Michael Portuesi <mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 00:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: KopyrighTs

I'd be willing to bet that the Kate Demo tapes are probably public
domain, if my limited knowledge of copyright law serves me correctly.
Basically, in order to copyright something, you must declare it
copyrighted with the incantation:

Copyright (c) 1989 Michael Portuesi

where the (c) is that special character with the "c" in a round
circle.  Either this special character or the term "Copyright" must be
used.

If material that does not have a copyright declaration is distributed,
it basically becomes public domain.  That means anybody can do as they
please with it, including selling it for a profit.  Legally.

Unless there's a patent/copyright attorney on this newsgroup ready to
prove me wrong, I believe that IED can distribute the entire Cathy
Demo collection without legal problems.  Ethical problems are an issue
I don't want to get into.

			--M

--
Michael Portuesi * Carnegie Mellon University
INTERNET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew