Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sound Quality my Bottom! :-)

From: Pete Hartman <@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:uxc.cso.uiuc.edu!bradley!pwh@bucc2>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 23:22:25 -0500
Subject: Sound Quality my Bottom! :-)

>     Now don't worry, Julian, IED won't be banning you from the project
>for your words. But frankly, such an opinion is inane and crazy! IED is
>just plain sick of this attitude. What on Earth is wrong with you
>people? If you don't like the sound, ok, that's understandable. But
>that you could allow the _medium_ to take priority over the _message_
>is either nuts or dumb. Sound quality may be important, yes. But
>good music survives poor sound quality. If you sit around waiting till
>someone assures you the _sound_ is good enough, you severely limit
>your own potential experience.
>     Get the music while the opportunity is there. Worry about the
>damn hi-fi later! If a better copy comes out in the future, buy it too.

Um.....I *hate* to disagree with you IED, but there IS indeed a point
where the medium is more important than the message.  I don't ask for
crystal clear hi-end, or any other hi-fi bs.  ALL I WANT IS TO HEAR
THE MUSIC.  I have a copy of one of the live bootlegs (Bristol, I believe)
which according to your discography has one of the "rare" "different"
versions of _Egypt_.  Well, you coulda fooled me--I can't hear it well
enough to make out what the song is (except when she does the swooping
chorus, singing the actual word "Egypt"), much less whether or not
it's significantly different from the album version.

Don't get me wrong.  I'd say from the sound of it, your copy of the
Demos is certainly good enough for me to make out the music, and I
will be gladly sending you my check for $6.50 very soon.  But there
is a point where a fan is justified in being extremely concerned about
the sound quality of his recordings, and given the track record of
Kate Bootlegs, I'd say that the fellow you were chastising is perfectly
justified.
				...uiucdcs\
	Pete Hartman		......noao >!bradley!bucc2!pwh
				......cepu/

		INTERNET: bradley!bucc2!pwh@a.cs.uiuc.edu
		ARPA: cepu!bradley!bucc2!pwh@seas.ucla.edu
		IF ALL ELSE FAILS: bradley!bucc2!pwh@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu