Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KB images

From: dan@rna.ROCKEFELLER.EDU (Dan Ts'o)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 16:12:01 EDT
Subject: Re: KB images
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8906051829.AA04863@nova.socsci.umn.edu> you write:
>Really-From: sparks@atlas.socsci.umn.edu
>
>Could someone please post the internet address of the site that
>has several Kate images available via FTP?  I recall that this
>site was at rockefeller, but I don't remember the full address.

	The Kate images at Rockefeller are at our site:

	rna.rockefeller.edu		129.85.1.200

I may put some more Kate images someday soon. If I can get one of those
GIF encoders working, I may also provide some more GIF files (I only have a
few now). Also, the program to display them on a Sun assumes an 8-bit FB.
Someone mailed me a program that did the halftoning required for 1-bit mono
screens, but I seem to have lost it. If you are out there, please email it
again (or post it). (The Postscript program does have the halftoning code.)
Here is the README from the ~ftp/katebush directory:

	Here are the Kate Bush images. All are in a very simple raster
format, as follows:
	3 VAX 32-bit longs:	first is either 1 or 3, for mono or color
				second is X, number of pixels per line
				third is Y, number of lines

	then the byte stream, 1 or 3 bytes per pixel.

	The program showimage, can read these images and dump them to a
SUN screen (8bit color). I have programs for the Ikonas, the Data
Translation DT2651, the Number Nine PC board, the QMS QUIC series laser
printers and Postscript bitmap laser printers, all of which understand
this format. (BTW showimage seems very inefficient -- don't blame me, I
didn't write it.)

	The SUN program is showimage.c + map.c
	The QMS program is qbit.c
	The Postscript program is psraster.c

The follow are 1:1 aspect ratio, from a slow-scan, high S/N CCD camera
kb.ph		192x144	mono	Musician mag, Kate with dunce and globe
kb1.ph		384x288 mono	Keyboard mag, Kate at her Fairlight
kb1.color	384x288 color	Keyboard mag, Kate at her Fairlight
kb2.ph		384x288 mono	Musician mag, Kate with dunce and globe
kb2.color	384x288 color	Musician mag, Kate with dunce and globe
kb4.ph		192x144 mono	The Whole Story cover
kb5.ph		384x288 mono	The Whole Story cover

I believe the following are 4:3 aspect ratio, from a CCD broadcast video camera.
Only 480 lines are actually image.
dream		512x512 mono	The Dreaming
live		512x512 color	The Live EP
live_m		512x512 mono	The Live EP
nfe		512x512 color	Never for Ever
nfe_m		512x512 mono	Never for Ever
ruth		512x512 color	Running up the Hill 12"
ruth_m		512x512 mono	Running up the Hill 12"
tki		512x512	color	The Kick Inside
tki_m		512x512	mono	The Kick Inside
tki_m1		512x512	mono	The Kick Inside (closeup)

I have also included here the 3 images that the other Love-Hounds poster
made available, which are in SUN rasterfile(5) format.
kb.8bit
kb.highres
kb.reg

*******

And here is README.gif:

	Here are the Kate Bush GIF images. They have been (naturally) converted
from my raw images through some pain and effort. I still do not have a
general way (program) to convert images to GIF. These GIF files have been
resampled and cropped to fit a VGA (320x200x256) screen. They are all
monochrome -- except ruth_c.gif . I am not too pleased with the color
images and will work on them some more before releasing color GIF's of
Kate. These images can be converted to EGA (16 color), but I doubt that
they will be very nice (kb5ega.gif is an example).

README.gif	kb1.gif		kb5ega.gif	nfe.gif		ruth_c.gif
dream.gif	kb5.gif		live.gif	ruth.gif	tki.gif

	Seeing as it is XMAS, I might be willing to make 5 1/4 IBM PC floppy
copies of these IF you send a floppy and SASE to me.  Please let me know if
these GIF's are appreciated.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.arpa
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

P.S.
	If you need an IBM PC GIF viewer for VGA/EGA, VGIF is also available
anonymous FTP in ~ftp/pc on rna.rockefeller.edu.

kb1.gif		Keyboard mag, Kate at her Fairlight
kb5.gif		The Whole Story cover
kb5ega.gif	The Whole Story cover, dithered to an EGA 640x350x16 image
			(do you like this ?)
dream.gif	The Dreaming
live.gif	The Live EP
nfe.gif		Never for Ever
ruth.gif	Running up the Hill 12"
ruth_c.gif	Running up the Hill 12", color (pretty bad)
tki.gif		The Kick Inside