Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Universe is in Harmony

From: ajw@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.j.whitman)
Date: 1 Jun 89 15:45:23 EDT (Thu)
Subject: Re: The Universe is in Harmony
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <591@megalon.cs.utexas.edu> you write:
>Really-From: laural@cs.utexas.edu (Laura La Gassa)
>

>I must admit I cancelled my subscription to r.m.gaffa last week because,
>well, because.  I got my _Cathy Demos_ tape today, and was sort of half-
>listening to it, until I heard (what is for me) the last song on the second
>side.  I nearly died -- it was "Another Day," which turns up on This Mortal
>Coil's _It'll End in Tears_, sung by that other Lady with a Voice, Elizabeth
>Fraser (of Cocteau Twins).  It was if all the heavenly spheres had suddenly
>aligned (This Mortal Coil is my favorite "group.")
>
>QUESTION:  Since I don't have my album copy of _IEiT_, did Kate write
>"Another Day?"  If not, who did?
>
>Laura
>laural@cs.utexas.edu

Laura,

"Another Day" was written by Roy Harper, the English bluesman who has
been putting out great, quirky, and generally unheralded music for the
past thirty years.  Not suprisingly, KT has expressed a lot of admiration
for Harper's work.  The KT interview with the British DJ that Andrew
Marvick reprinted a couple of months ago (sorry, I didn't save it, so
I can't provide many details) has Kate playing a couple of Roy Harper
songs during her slot as "guest DJ."  It's not too surprising that she
also recorded one of his songs.

By the way, I just bought "It'll End in Tears" this past weekend -
largely on your recommendations and comments in rec.music.gaffa and
rec.music.misc.  I'm not at all disappointed.  It's a great album.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Andy Whitman
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
att!cblpn!ajw