Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Beer etc (was: none)

From: arc!ken@apple.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 89 15:30:38 PDT
Subject: Re: Beer etc (was: none)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <5179.8906011758@aipna.ed.ac.uk> you write:
>Really-From: Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
>
>>Really-From: arc!ken@apple.com
>
>>	As the posting above states, it "doesn't make any sense".  But
>>as long as the media is in the hands of people who don't have a clue
>>about how a healthy mind works, then you can't realistically expect
>>most other people to make sense either.
>
>Wrong diagnosis. The people running the media know precisly what makes
>people tick, that is why they behave as they do. You might sell some,
>say, beer by saying its good and handing out some free samples so people
>can make up their minds; you'll sell much more by setting up an image
>for it and selling the image.

	Sorry, you missed one word of my paragraph - "healthy" [mind].
Yes the media know some tricks that work on a short range basis.  But
they really have no idea about the structure of the mind.  Otherwise,
they would want to elevate everyone's tastes and understanding, rather
than just pander to the lowest common denominator for their own short
term benefit.
--
                                      - Ken
Reply to : apple!arc!ken         \ Disclaimer: All the above is solely