Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Beer etc (was: none)

From: Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 89 17:58:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Beer etc (was: none)
Dragon: Mnemouth
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: arc!ken@apple.com

>>Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)

>>After all, what would happen
>>if you liked the song and the artist turned out to be
>>too commercial (like Phil Collins), or too obscure
>>(like Kate Bush),

Obscure? Kate? Is she obscure over there in the colonies? Certainly
saying here that you like KB will get you classed in with the Phil
Collins crowd.

Actually though there is more of a problem than you seem to believe. It
really _is_ hard to respond to music you have never heard before. I
suggest you go listen to some Gregorian Chant/Bartok/Tangerine
Dream/Gong ( or whatever - pick something very different from anything
you have heard ) and try and make rational comments after one hearing.

>	As the posting above states, it "doesn't make any sense".  But
>as long as the media is in the hands of people who don't have a clue
>about how a healthy mind works, then you can't realistically expect
>most other people to make sense either.

Wrong diagnosis. The people running the media know precisly what makes
people tick, that is why they behave as they do. You might sell some,
say, beer by saying its good and handing out some free samples so people
can make up their minds; you'll sell much more by setting up an image
for it and selling the image.

The first strategy does seem to be used for music - record shops usually
will be playing some music in the backgroud in the hope that you will
like it and buy. I spent an hour in one tody - they were playing "Blind
Man's Zoo".

>                                      - Ken

	rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna	"Look my eyes are just holograms,
				 Look your love has drawn red from my hands,
				 From my hands you know you'll never be,
				 More than twist in my sobriety "
					- Tanita Tikaram, Twist in my Sobriety