Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Tour issues considered

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Sun, 21 May 89 12:41 PDT
Subject: Kate Tour issues considered

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 >And is she going to tour, or what?  I have to get on line...(1/2 8-)
 >
 >-- Gregory T. Samson

     It's about time we considered what we're going to do about a
Kate Bush tour. That remark by Fish (notice, no quotation marks)
has injected new hope in IED that Kate will indeed be touring in
support of KBVI. The next question is, will she bring such a tour
to the U.S.? IED suspects that if she were to do so, it would
be a decision she would probably make only _after_ seeing whether
KBVI showed some initial promise of selling better than _HoL_ did.
Her tour production would likely be very, very costly, and it's
not very likely that Kate would sign with any commercial company
for sponsorship. Which means EMI and CBS would probably be cautious
about committing to a U.S. leg of Tour of Life II before getting
some very encouraging data on the new album's U.S. sales.
     All this means it might just be worthwhile going to England
to see the shows. (Which is not to imply that England isn't worth going
to without a KT tour, of course.) IED knows there are at least a
few rather extreme North American KT fans who would go to England
for a tour even if Kate did intend to bring it to the U.S. later.
So this means it might be seriously worth our while chartering a
plane to London for U.S. and Canadian Kate fans.
     The other issue concerns getting tickets for the concert(s).
Being stuck here in the U.S., we are not in a great position to
buy a block of tickets for London (or other UK-city) concert-tickets
before they sell out. It's quite possible that most or all of Kate's
concerts could sell out within a matter of a couple of days, and
if that happened, North American fans would be out of luck. Two
possible solutions suggest themselves: first, we could solicit the
good will and stamina of one or more UK-based Love-Hounds, asking
that they buy a block of tickets for us; second, we could try to
make deposits for a block with the theatres themselves, by dealing
with them directly, well in advance of any ticket-sales announcements.
If we try the latter alternative, now might already be a good time
to open communications with the theatres. Perhaps we could secure
a limited number of tickets to a concert or two some time before they
officially go on sale, by explaining our situation and paying a
substantial deposit.
     Does anyone in this group have any special knowledge of charter
air rates and/or advance ticket sales? If so, IED, readers of _Watching_
Storms_ and the members of the North American Kate Bush Society would
really appreciate your comments and advice.

-- Andrew Marvick