Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dif Juz

From: sco!time@ucscc.ucsc.edu
Date: Tue May 16 08:14:44 1989
Subject: Dif Juz

For those of you who have never heard of Dif Juz, I have this to say...

What the hell have you been listening to? Dif Juz is probably one of
the best bands to have been on the 4AD label. I suggest you find a copy
of _Lonely Is An Eyesore_ which is a compilation of 4AD groups such as
Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Colourbox, Throwing Muses, Brendan Perry
(of D-C-D), XyMoX, Wolfgang Press and an instrumental piece by Dif Juz
that will blow your mind. I also suggest the video that can be purchased
at Tower Records (if you have one) and you can see all of these bands
and some shots of the artists (which, up until the video, I've never
seen a picture except for Elizabeth Fraser from Cocteau Twins).

Anyways... back to Dif Juz. They're like an alternative Jjazz band. They
have that 4AD sound and a great jazz background. Hardly any singing at
all. They have an album called _Extractions_ with one song with lyrics
(and Elizabeth Fraser is singing them).

I also believe that the sax/clarinet player from Dif Juz is on
This Mortal Coil's _Filligree and Shadow_. His name is Ricahrd Thomas
(no... not John Boy from the Waltons). I know for a fact that he is
on the Harold Budd, Robin Guthrie, Simon Raymonde and Elizabeth Fraser
album.

tim(enufsaid)e