Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: re: voice guided MIDI

From: tynor%pyr@gatech.edu (Steve Tynor)
Date: 16 May 89 17:01:39 GMT
Subject: re: re: voice guided MIDI
Newsgroups: rec.music.synth, rec.music.gaffa

In article <8905160440.AA14085@uunet.UU.NET> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Ken Howard <munnari!chook.ua.oz.au!khoward@uunet.UU.NET>
> >much stuff deleted<
> > use it as a synth controller. (its kind of like adding a 'random
> > vibrato' (in semitones) to everything you do.  Ugh. Oh well. I returned
> > mine after a week of frustration.
>	 I have heard this from other sources and am not surprised
>	 since even the 'steadiest' note is remarkably hard to track.
>	 What needs to be done is to get a good estimate of the MIDI
>	 note number as quickly as possible and then use PITCH BEND messages
>	 to track it. This avoids any nasty semitone chromatic jumps!

Actually, it can do this (reasonably well in fact...), but I'm not so much
interested in "singing a horn" in real time as I am in transcribing my
noodlings (e.g. a walking bass line) into a score program on my sun.  I
suppose I could write a postprocessor to turn the note+bend info back
into just notes - but I can't see how this could be done any better
than the Vocalizer in non-bend mode.

>	 I have heard a demo of, but not used, the Fairlight Voicetracker
>	 (I think thats what its called ?) --- VERY impressive on
>	 vocal material and horns.
>
>	 In my own setup I use a Roland GM70 guitar-to-MIDI box (I got it
>	 very cheap!) with a modified front-end. This works very well on
>	 horns, flute etc and quite passably with GOOD vocals.
>	 The only limitation is the range of each of the 6 inputs is not
>	 much more than that of the corresponding guitar string (as you
>	 would probably expect!). This is less of a problem than it may sound.

Am I just expecting too much? would the Voicetracker (or Pitchrider, or
GM70, or...) do any better for my purposes? (and how cheap is "very
cheap"?)

No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    tynor@gitpyr.gatech.edu