Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This Mortal Coil (was Re: new music)

From: laural@cs.utexas.edu (Laura La Gassa)
Date: 16 May 89 00:59:22 GMT
Subject: This Mortal Coil (was Re: new music)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8905152331.AA18652@mcvax.cwi.nl> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: mcvax!inesc!host!px@uunet.UU.NET (Joaquim Baptista (pxQuim))
>	Have you heard of "This Mortal Coil"? They have two albuns,
>"It will end in tears" and "Filegree and shadow". The musicians are
>invited ones, since the ideas come from the producer; he mostly uses
>the guys from Cocteau Twins, including the Lady Singer and Her Voice.

Ahhh.  This Mortal Coil.  My favorite *band* in the whole world.  (Note:
I count Kate as a single person . . . .)

Some corrections on the above:

TMC's first album is called _It'll End in Tears_.  Yes, it uses Simon Raymonde
and Robin Guthrie from CT, and the Lady -- Elisabeth Fraser -- sings in
several pieces.  Several other tunes -- most notably "Kangaroo," features
Gordon Sharpe from the quasi-cross-between-Joy-Division-and-heavy-metal-band
Cindytalk.  There are some wonderful instrumentals, too.  My favorite
is "Fyt," done with an accordian (I'm not sure by whom -- someone from
Dead Can Dance maybe?  I only have a homemade tape copy here so I have no album
credits to look at.).

The second album, my personal favorite, is _Filigree and Shadow_.  _F&S_
does not have Elisabeth Fraser nor Gordon Sharpe on vocals.  Rather, there
is Dominic Appleton from Breathless, and some beautiful female vocals
from several singers including Caroline Seaman from Heavenly Bodies and
Alison Limerick.  Beautiful beautiful beautiful ethereal painful sweet
dreamy airy atmospheric wonderful haunting sad lovely music.

The sleeve photography on both is good too.

Any questions?  Feel free to write . . . .

Laura
laural@cs.utexas.edu