Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Balkana

From: dadoun@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Nou Dadoun)
Date: Tue, 9 May 89 19:31:30 PDT
Subject: Re: Balkana
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>     On this occasion unfortunately Eva Georgieva, the eldest of the
>three members of Trio B., was not present, for what reason IED could
>not discover--no-one in the Balkana outfit apparently speaks a word
>of English, and no interpreter was present! Anyway, the Trio B. became
>the Duo B. last night, but the effect was still magical at times.

The Balkana ensemble was here for two nights last week and I had a chance
to chat briefly with their local interpreter.  Apparently Eva Georgieva
took ill shortly before the beginning of the tour, and was left at home.
The duo harmonies were notably altered, they were not simply the trio
harmonies with one voice removed.  Very enjoyable, although next time
I hope they're back to a Trio.

I was backstage for most of the evening (it was presented by the Folk
Music Festival society).  For the portions of the show that some of the
ensemble were backstage, they danced and joked and enjoyed themselves
tremendously.  The drummer in particular kept trying to chat with us
in Bulgarian (unsuccessfully).  His instrument was basically a bass
drum which was held at an angle and played on both sides - one side
with something like a bass drum stick, the other with a very thin stick.
The rhythms were delightful (and very dancable).

I agree, don't miss them - and check out some of the albums Balkana;
The Forest is Crying; and Les Mysteres Des Voix Bulgares Vols. 1 & 2.

==
Nou Dadoun	  	  | {ihnp4!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!
Dept. of Computer Science |  ubc-vision!ubc-csgrads!dadoun
Univ. of British Columbia | dadoun@grads.cs.ubc.ca
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5   | dadoun%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
(604) 228-2930            | dadoun@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-5485 [FAX]      |