Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself

From: barth@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Richards)
Date: 10 May 89 02:18:56 GMT
Subject: Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8905092011.AA06024@arc.UUCP> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>Really-From: arc!ken@apple.com (Ken Stuart)
>
>	I was just wondering if you know enough to roughly date the
>beginning of the existence of CD bootlegs.  Making CDs is not exactly
>something you can do in your garage with $300 of equipment.  So, I am
>curious as to how long now this has been going on.  (Perhaps there is
>a CD plant in Hong Kong.  There doesn't seem to be much concern there
>for patents/copyrights, etc.)

They started appearing soon after a CD plant opened in South Korea and put
out the word that they would do CD runs for cash, no questions asked.  I
believe that this was about a year and a half ago.

>	From my experience running both computers and synthesizers,
>there is still the "separation" of having to run the machine - there
>aren't any digital-thought-interfaces (yet).  So, I think the
>difference between approximating using guitar, etc. and using a
>Fairlight CMI is only of degree, not the difference between
>approximation and exactitude.

Well, it's not quite a direct mind/machine interface, but there is
something on the market now that may be one step closer (especially for us
non-keyboard players).  I have recently seen a device (the exact name
escapes me) which allows you to control a cheap synthesizer by singing into
a mic.  What you sing determines the pitch and rhythm, but the sound that
comes out of the speaker is one of 20 or so patches that you select.  The
really good news is that the thing is midi, and can be used to control any
synth with a midi port.

I haven't fiddled with the thing, so I don't know how well it works, but I
do seem to remember it being ~$300 at Monkey Wards.

  888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
  88                                                                       88
  88  Language is a virus from outer space.          Barth Richards        88
  88                                                 AT&T Bell Labs        88
  88                                                 Naperville, IL        88
  88         - William S. Burroughs                  !att!ihlpf!barth      88