Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself

From: arc!ken@apple.com (Ken Stuart)
Date: Tue, 9 May 89 13:11:06 PDT
Subject: Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

HI,

	I was just wondering if you know enough to roughly date the
beginning of the existence of CD bootlegs.  Making CDs is not exactly
something you can do in your garage with $300 of equipment.  So, I am
curious as to how long now this has been going on.  (Perhaps there is
a CD plant in Hong Kong.  There doesn't seem to be much concern there
for patents/copyrights, etc.)

In article <8905090049.AA00302@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> you write:
>sound. IED believes that Kate's _The_Dreaming_ introduces a whole
>new level of _alchemic_musical_creation_, far beyond--as regards both
>scope of conception and thoroughness of execution--anything which
>either "Rick Wakeman" or "Frank Zappa" or "Pink Floyd" or any of these
>types had ever achieved before. Now before you get mad again, remember
>that IED prefaced this opinion yesterday with the admission that his
>is a personal opinion, based upon an admittedly obsessive and as a
>result exclusionary musical outlook. He does want it to be understood,
>however, that he was _not_ contending that Kate was the first artist
>to produce her own music! ALCHEMY! That's what IED is talking about--
>ALCHEMY!

	From my experience running both computers and synthesizers,
there is still the "separation" of having to run the machine - there
aren't any digital-thought-interfaces (yet).  So, I think the
difference between approximating using guitar, etc. and using a
Fairlight CMI is only of degree, not the difference between
approximation and exactitude.

	Also, you leave out examples such as Tangerine Dream and Klaus
Schulze, who only use Fairlights and synthesizers, etc. (nothing on
their albums requires a microphone or an acoustical studio room)  Just
on the basis you describe, their music must be alchemy as well.  (And
predates "The Dreaming" by about a decade).
--
                                      - Ken
Reply to : apple!arc!ken         \ Disclaimer: All the above is solely