Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: King Crimson

From: claris!wombat@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Scott Lindsey)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 89 00:31:22 PDT
Subject: Re: King Crimson

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:
> Really-From: boulder!boulder!bernard@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Bernie Bernstein)

> Robert Fripp did in fact found the group in ~1970.
_In the Court of the Crimson King -- An Observation by King Crimson_ was
released in 1969.

> They came out with several albums; let's see how many I can remember:
>
>   The Court of the Crimson King
>   In the Wake of Poseiden
    _Lizard_, featuring Jon Anderson on one of the songs
    _Islands_
    _Earthbound_ (I don't recall exactly when this came out, order-wise)
>   Lark's Tongues in Aspic
>   Starless and Bible Black
>   USA (live)
>   Red
>   A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson (best of)
> --5 year break
>   Discipline
>   Beat
>   Three of a Perfect Pair
>
> The members of the band changed very often:  some of the musicians from
> the band have included:
> Fripp (only one through whole history)
> Bill Bruford (only one from old and new KK)
> Tony Levin
> John Wetton (lead vocalist before Belew)
> Carl Palmer (I think)
  no, it was Greg Lake doing vocals on the first and some of the second album.
  Palmer was busy with the Crazy World of Arthur Brown.
> David Cross
  Ian MacDonald
  Michael Giles
  Peter Sinfield
  Mel Collins
  Gordon Haskell
  Peter Giles
  Boz
  Ian Wallace
  Keith Tippett
  Robin Miller
  Jamie Muir
  Jon Anderson (as mentioned above)
  Robert Miller

> I wish I had some albums with me so that I can just look on the back.
> No doubt Eno played on some albums, but it has been years since I read
> any of the album covers.  KK has changed musicians on (just about)
> every album before their breakup in 75, so the list would be very long
> if I could remember them.
Yes.  That's still not all of them.  If Eno did anything, it was simply
Enofications -- I don't recall him actually doing anything with KC, though.

>>		I've got two of there albums , The Beat and
>>	Three of a perfect Pair as well as solo albums from
>>	Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.
>>	What I would like to Know is when and where they
>>	started . Also any info on who has been in it!

That's "_Beat_."

> Their old albums are excellent.  I would recommend getting them.  Not
> many of them are available on CD, which is why I haven't played them
> lately, and some of them are also difficult to find.

They are of a much different style, though.  I would recommend getting
_Discipline_ next.  I think that _Beat_ is the weakest of that trilogy.

If you can, *listen* to what you can before you buy.  Personally, I like
_ItCotKC_, _Red_, and _Starless & Bible Black_ best of their early stuff.
_Lark's Tongue in Aspic_ is by far the most experimental of that time.
Don't buy this one to play in your car.  It has the widest dynamic range
of any non-classical album I own.