Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Propaganda

From: Lazlo Nibble <cs1552ao%charon.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 89 20:13:21 MST
Subject: Re: Propaganda

J.J. Wasilko writes:

> Does anyone know anything about the whereabouts/current activities of
> Propaganda?  I finally got my hands on _Laughter, Tears and Rage,_ the
> CD from ACT.  ACT is Claudia Brucken and THomas Leer, two of the members
> of Propaganda.

Only Claudia Brucken was in Propaganda.  (She's also the wife of former
NME'er and ZTT-hound Paul Morley.  IED: if you got this far -- which I
doubt -- do you know if Morley ever interviewed Kate, and if so, do you
have the interview in question?)

Leer has released five solo efforts, but he never did anything with
Propaganda.  According to the New Trouser Press Record Guide, he's
responsible for:

	_The Bridge_ (with Robert Rental) -- 1979, Industrial
	_4 Movements_ (EP) -- 1981, Cherry Red
	_Contradictions_ -- 1982, Cherry Red
	_Letter From America_ -- 1982, Cachalot
	_Scale Of Ten_ -- 1985, Arista

I'd be interested in hearing some opinions on these synth efforts, if
anyone's heard them.

> I guess I'd like to hear if there was ever any word about the band breaking
> up/disbanding/taking a break...

I was under the impression that Propaganda was history, but I keep
hearing rumors that they're under contractual obligation to ZTT for one
more album.  Given the trouble ZTT's had in developing new artists
lately, I'd bet that if the rumors are true, ZTT is going to squeeze
that One More Album out of them come hell or high water.

In re: Jon Drukman's comments about a Polish CD-3, I was under the
impression that the single in question was "P:Machinery (Polish)" and
was a Japanese release.  "P:Machinery" and "Dr. Mabuse" are definitely
both out on CD-3 in Japan, but I don't know for sure what versions are
on them.  At any rate, these two (and four other Japanese ZTT-3s --
"Relax" and "Two Tribes" from FGTH, and "Close Up" and "Moments In
Love" from AoN) are available for around $14 from most places that
stock or mail-order Japanese CDs.

                                                                         Lazlo
cs1552ao@charon.unm.edu              We've got provisions, and lots of beer --
 SysEx: +1 505 266 7114	       The key word is "Survival" on the New Frontier.