Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Does she die?

From: laural@cs.utexas.edu (Laura La Gassa)
Date: 26 Mar 89 22:58:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Does she die?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> I also wonder where you get the idea of a submarine being anywhere
> in the song.  If you're referring to the radio traffic at the end

Well, Rob, if you listen carefully you can hear the pong sound of a
submarine's sonar at the end of "Hello Earth," right where Kate sings
"deeper and deeper, I go deeper and deeper, I go to sleep" (or
something like that!).  So that's where the idea of the submarine
comes from.  But I agree that it does NOT show up in time to save the
Kate-in-the-water.  In fact, she could be dead right from the
beginning, like in that book _Pincher Martin_ by William Golding.

Laura