Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 89 15:55 PST
Subject: Mailbag

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick

 >> ...I lose the words (although it sounds as if they include the word
 >> "water"), then the line ends with a hard "T" sound:
 >> The colour of...(water??).......IT!
 >
 >    Hmm, I popped in the CD and thought I heard:
 >
 >        "No wonder that I blew it"
 >
 >But don't take my opinion, anyone else out there hear this
 >or something different?
 >
 >-- Clifford C. Skolnick

     Better to take Kate's own explanation. In an interview with
Kate published in the Club _Newsletter_ (issue number 17) a few years
back, a fan sent in the question:

     What is sung at the end of _Symphony_in_Blue_? Is it: "No
wonder that I blew it"?

     Kate replied:

     "Yes, but you've spelt it wrong: it's 'blue it.'"

     Incidentally, the above was included in IED's multi-thousand-line
posting of the complete writings of Kate Bush in Love-Hounds a few
weeks back. You people should have been studying The Word more
carefully!

 >>     Could IED do all of us Love-Hounds a favor and package up his
 >>transcriptions in a large file available through anonymous FTP?  I
 >>have been following each of the interviews posted by IED, but I
 >>haven't archived them. I would much prefer to grab them all in one
 >>big package.
 >>
 >>-- Michael Portuesi
 >
 >Yeah! Would it be possible for IED to make all his transcriptions available
 >through FTP? It would make it much easier to read them in bulk, and to
 >locally print them out.
 >
 >-- Michael Taube        "..Soul birds of a feather flock together.."

     A couple of problems with that idea. First, IED doesn't know
what the fuck (pardon his French) an "FTP" is, nor does he particularly
want to find out. He is a stubborn computer-illiterate. Second and
more importantly, all of his Kate files are stored in laser-printer
format only. He does not have the time to re-format any of that stuff
for easier L-Hs re-reading. If, therefore, someone can give
IED a very repeat very brief lesson in how to send this stuff to you--
using a simple repeat simple, and _reliable_, e-mail address, and _not_
requiring that he spend an hour or more breaking the 30,000 lines+
of material into more convenient little blocks--and _if_ you don't
mind figuring out how to re-format it all yourself--then IED will
try to oblige.
     But why oh why didn't these people save the texts when they were
originally posted??? The texts that IED keeps transcribing are for
_life-long_study_, you know, not a few moments' fleeting entertainment!

 > From: felix!arcturus!mitch@hplabs.HP.COM (Mitchell S. Gorman)
 > Subject: A question
 > Date: 10 Jan 89 19:55:53 GMT
 >
 > Someone once told me that Our Lady has a little problem with airplanes, and
 > that this was why she doesn't tour the US.  She mentioned an incident where
 > Kate got so bad on a flight to New York that they turned the plane around
 > within half an hour of take-off.
 >    Can anyone verify/put the lie to this rumor?
 >    Please email, since I don't read this group regularly.
 >    Thanx.
 >
 >-- Mitch @ Rockwell, Anaheim
 >   Disclaimer:I have no idea what the best mail path to reach me by might be.

     Well, great! You want people to figure your damn address out
by telepathy or something? IED has enough trouble with the addresses
that people actually _do_ give him! Fortunately Jessica has also
expressed interest, so IED will simply satisfy _her_ curiosity by
posting a reply here in L-Hs.
     The rumour you cite is pure bunk, though its genesis is more
or less clear. Kate is _not_ "afraid" of flying--certainly not
so afraid, anyway, that she is unable to fly. This has been proved
many many times by the dozens of flights which Kate routinely
and uncomplainingly made to Europe, Japan, Australia and North
America during the past eleven years.
     Kate does, however, _dislike_ flying. Since ca. 1980
she has tried to avoid flying whenever possible, preferring ships
to planes when intercontinental transportation is required. In 1983/84
Kate was scheduled to visit the U.S. to help promote the re-release
of her albums and the release of the U.S. and Canadian "mini-albums".
She duly reserved a seat on the QE 2, intending to travel at leisure
on that august oceangoing vessel. Very shortly before saildate, however,
the QE2 was brought into drydock for refurbishing--it was subsequently
learned that this overhaul was apparently undertaken in anticipation
of the Falklands War. Kate could, of course, have taken a plane at the
last moment, but instead, apparently, she decided just to scrap the
whole trip. Her decision was probably not caused entirely by
an aversion to flying, however: the promotional trip was not really
all that important; Kate had just finished a year of heavy promotion
for _The_Dreaming_ the year previous; and she was, as we now know,
just getting deep into the recording of _Hounds_of_Love_ by that time.
     In 1985, however, when _HoL_ finally appeared, Kate _did_
fly to the U.S. for the by-then-much-more-worthwhile promotional visit.
She flew on the Concorde to Washington, D.C., and traveled thence to NYC.
There was no turning around in midflight. IED knows because friends of
his met Kate on her arrival at the airport, precisely on schedule.

-- Andrew Marvick