Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

I haven't done any A/B tests if that's what you mean, but I was researching
to find out if there was a difference between the UK and US discs.  Anyway,
what the love-hounds came up with was that the USA release of The Whole
Story was markedly inferior to the import - low S/N and much hiss and all
that other bad audiophile stuff.  Apparently the import wasn't any sonic
feast, but it wasn't bad in any way either.  As far as I have been able
to discover, the imports and domestics of the albums are virtually
identical.  There was a fellow on the list who did an A/B test on Hounds
Of Love and said that they were 99.9% the same, with the import showing maybe
0.1% improvement.  Or maybe less.

One thing I have been curious about for a very long time is why the cuing
marks on my "Never For Ever" CD are all fucked up.  If I select "Violin"
for instance, I miss the first half of the first note.  Watching the
time display shows that the song actually starts at the very end of
"The Wedding List" and THEN the counter switches over.  Owners of the
import disc have assured me that their discs all cue up perfectly.
(I've noticed this phenomenon with the first half-second of the first
song on the Skinny Puppy disc "Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse".)
My guess is that somehow the SMPTE list that was submitted to the
mastering plant was off by about .5 second all the way through.  Strange!!

And that's the news for now.  Over to Phil in the control booth...

 !   !\             BITNET: jsd@umass
\!on !/rukman      ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu