Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"KATE BUSH The Early Years" - Bootleg or no?

From: sco!scol!craig@uunet.UU.NET
Date: 08:38:24 PM Wed 11 Jan 1989 GMT
Subject: "KATE BUSH The Early Years" - Bootleg or no?

I picked up a copy of the January issue of the UK magazine "Record
Collector" today, in which "Richard Jackson reviews the rarest releases
from the first three years of Bush's career, including promos, limited
editions and obscure overseas picture sleeves and LPs".

The majority of it will be no surprise to the dedicated KollecTor
(although I wonder if the prices have really gone up _that_ much since
I was last in the market some 3-4 months ago), but I was struck by the
following:

"There has been much confusion in the past over two German Kate Bush
albums, one from each half of the divided country.  One is called ``The
Early Years'', the other ``Amiga''.  Contrary to what we've been told
in the past, they contain entirely different material.

[description of ``Amiga'' collection (no rare material) omitted]

"The West German title is ``The Early Years'' - the most mysterious
Bush album of all.  Some say this is an official release, quickly
withdrawn under pressure from the Bush/EMI camp; others claim it is a
bootleg.  Both may be true.  [I think he means _either_ may be true!]
In either case, the record contains some of Kate's earliest demo
recordings, almost all of which are songs unavailable elsewhere.  I can
confirm that the record does exist, as I had a copy in my hands for
about five seconds last year - long enough to say that it looked like
an official release, but not to memorise the song titles!  If it was an
'official' release, then expect it to change hands for very large sums
indeed."  [in context, this would appear to mean several hundred
pounds]

So, eKsperTs (IED, this means you!) (|>oug, where are you?) what's the
story here?  I personally find it very hard to believe that such a
treasure trove could be hidden in obscurity for so long, especially
if it was an official West German release, but then again, "Record
Collector" is not given to perpetrating hoaxes.

Of course, if anyone actually *has* this, it goes without saying that
I'd give my right [insert your chosen body-part here] for a tape of
it.

			- Craig.
---
 O__ ....	Craig R.P. Heath	    Europe:
/|   bang	Santa Cruz Operation Ltd.	...!ukc!pyrltd!scol!craig
/ \		+44 923 816344 x417	    Internet: craig@sco.COM