Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dig those Poi Doggers (Was: Live Show Review)

From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)
Date: 11 Dec 88 02:53:47 GMT
Subject: Dig those Poi Doggers (Was: Live Show Review)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <364@ntcsd1.UUCP> Russ McGuire writes about Poi Dog Pondering:

>I second this recommendation.  I saw these folks a couple of months ago
>and really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately when I saw them it was a really
>Their EP is on Texas Hotel Records and they are from Austin (I'm pretty
>sure).  I would be surprised if T.H.R. is based in LA, its probably based
>Maybe some of our friends from Austin know more about this band?

Yes, they're now "from" Austin.  I think they've been in town for a year
or two, coming here from Hawaii (and LA?).  They're fairly popular and seem
to play a consistent circuit of local clubs.

I'd comment on their shows, but I've never heard them live, only on tape or
the radio.  (In spite of that, I thought I should respond since I can only
recall a couple of other Love-Hounds ever posting from Austin.)

I just read today in a local music/etc paper (the Chron) that the violinist
who played with them at the recent CA dates is actually a member of another
excellent local group, Grains of Faith.  That may be ex-member now...

Steve Williams               USENET:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve
Tandem Computers             TELE:  512-244-8252
14231 Tandem Blvd.
Austin, Texas  78728