Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dig those Poi Doggers (Was: Live Show Review)

From: Julian Cowley <julian@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 88 15:29:10-1000
Subject: Re: Dig those Poi Doggers (Was: Live Show Review)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <408@halley.UUCP> Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)
>>Maybe some of our friends from Austin know more about this band?
>
>Yes, they're now "from" Austin.  I think they've been in town for a year
>or two, coming here from Hawaii (and LA?).  They're fairly popular and seem
>to play a consistent circuit of local clubs.

Poi Dog does hail originally from Hawaii.  Frank Orrall, the
lead singer, Abra Moore, the multi-instrumentalist, and Ted Cho,
one of the guitarists, are all original members of the band
since its inception in 1986 or so.  Sean Coffey, the drummer on
the album, is from Hawaii, too, but is no longer a member (in
fact I went to school with him this semester).  Actually, Frank
set up Poi Dog so that he could record his own music, playing
all the instruments himself, and releasing the tapes to local
music stores.  After the tapes did rather well, he decided to
make it a live band, and put together a rag tag bunch of
musicians, including myself.  The band's musicians have always
been somewhat unstable, as someone made reference to earlier, and
I left after the first gig or so.

Frank, always being the one for timing, decided to take the whole
band on the road, touring across the U.S. in two vans, and eventually
roosting in Austin, where they picked up additional members.
I suppose now they consider themselves an Austin band (sniff!  one
lost to prosperity!)

It is kind of interesting to note that Frank was not originally
a guitarist, but rather a drummer, and a fascinatingly good one
at that.  It's a shame that he does not show off more of his
talents when playing with Poi Dog.

They will be returning to Hawaii to play their usual quota of
gigs sometime around the 17th, in case you would like to see
them in paradise.  Should be lotsa fun...

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
uunet!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!julian
julian@uhccux.bitnet
"People who aren't amused don't talk."