Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Auntie Lizoo's posting

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 88 13:31 PST
Subject: Auntie Lizoo's posting

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick

 >Did anyone besides me cry out,"Her beautiful hair is gone!!" on first
 >seeing the Cloudbusting video?

     No. IED saw the photo on the single-sleeve first. _Then_ he cried
out, "Her hair is gone!" Actually, though, he kind of liked it
that way...

 > My question was, how did Kate choose which songs to put on TWS? She's had
 >more singles that appear there, and I, for one, was disappointed in herg
 >not including Suspended in Gaffa and The Big Sky.

     Kate has said that it wasn't her idea to put out a greatest
hits LP in the first place, and that EMI were planning to put
it out whether she participated or not. She has also said that
she only had a very short period of time between their notification
of plans to release the album and video and the time it was actually
released. She said she would have liked, for instance, to have been
able to re-record all of the early tracks on the album, but that
she was so pressed for time that she was forced to re-record only
the vocal track from _Wuthering_Heights_.
     Based on all this, it seems likely that Kate had little
choice over which tracks were actually selected. Remember also
that since the project was conceived by EMI right from the beginning
as a _joint_ LP/video compilation (Kate particularly objected to the
release of the video since it had almost no previously unreleased
material; but, again, agreed to work on it when EMI said they
were releasing it with or without her help), the track listings
were pretty much pre-determined by the limited number of videos.
     The absence of the song (and video) _Suspended_in_Gaffa_
is probably explained by the fact that it was not a UK single,
only a European single. _There_Goes_a_Tenner_ was probably not included
because it was such a commercial flop; ditto _Hammer_Horror_. _Them_Heavy_
_People_ was omitted, IED supposes, because it wasn't strictly speaking
a single release, and the video for that song  was made for release with
the _On_Stage_ EP. And _The_Big_Sky_ was included on the video but not
on the LP, presumably for time considerations, and because it was the
most recent single prior to the release of _X4_ (the single for
_The_Whole_Story_). It's possible that it was left off because
Kate is very fussy about limiting the time-per-side on her albums,
in order to get a "deep cut" in the vinyl; but that, of course,
is no explanation for the omission of the track from the cassette
and CD--both of which were, in IED's opinion, definite rip-offs
from that perspective. IED can't stand CDs of less that an hour's
length, particularly when other tracks remain unreleased on CD.
It's _the_ most glaring sign of record-companies' relentless,
gigantic cupidity and disrespect for their market.
     Unless their despicable conspiracy to stop the
introduction of DAT machines, and their certain plans to
outlaw or fatally cripple the erasable-CD player, are considered even
more glaring. Filthy bastards. The thought that that kind of scum have
the power to exercise any control whatsoever over Kate's artistic
production and inclinations, is enough to make one want to kill.

-- Andrew Marvick