Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK. (Mailbag)

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 88 15:12 PDT
Subject: MisK. (Mailbag)

     Who is ZAPHOD? and whether he/she's joking or not, the posting
was right on the money.
     Thanks are due to Gary Dare for his information about Doug
Pringle. Pringle's interview with Kate (from his "Profiles in Rock"
series) was indeed a video program, so now we know its source.
     "wq:" (Gavin Dixon?): You regret the dearth of personal
biographical information in the Khronology no less than does its
transcriber and most recent EDItor. Alas, what can be done?  The fact
is, precious little personal data re Kate has ever come to light. Most
public information is vague and is very poorly dated.  For example, we
know that the Bushes owned (?) a small cottage by the sea and used to
vacation there during the summer months, but the specific location and
years of this custom is not known.  For future editions of the
chronology, IED may try to punctuate dated sections with undated
paragraphs of necessarily vague but nonetheless pertinent information
about the personal side of things. Meanwhile, however, IED warns all
fans to beware the "up-close-and-personal" details in any of the three
extant unofficial biographies of Kate.  None is to be trusted.
     Niels Mayer: IED fully sympathizes with your disappointment with
the Bay Area radio program, but your anger seems extreme. After all,
the show seems to have done some good -- for one thing, you (and
hundreds -- thousands? -- of other listeners) got to hear at least one
B-side that was new to you. Besides, no programme that actually airs
"Get Out of My House" could be all bad.
     IED also appreciates the humor of your little satire:

> later found 3 day old pieces of wienerschnizel between her third and
> fourth molars, the third molar of course representing the trinity of
> the xtian tradition, and the fourth molar obviously a symbol of the
> cabbalistic-style numerology applied to the elements fire earth
> water air (or is that phlegm, smegma, phlogiston and cum?). Oh yeah,
> almost forgot, the pungent wienerschnizel is a semiotic
> deconstruction of wilhelm reich's dead poodle "frenchy".  There, now
> you understand my interpretation of blablabla. Capice?

Unfortunately, despite your evident disdain, your emotional and
jargon-wise commentary seems almost to legitimize the stuff you mean
to lampoon.  Why so bitter? It all seems harmless enough to this
Love-Hound.
     As for your ridicule of poor |>oug's question to Kate re catfood,
IED has said before and will say again that in his opinion that was --
seriously -- the most interesting and daring question (among many
such) that |>oug put to Kate during his interview -- and if nothing
else, |>oug's questions were certainly the most "challenging" ones
anyone has posed to Kate so far, so this is saying alot. It wasn't a
"silly" question at all, nor was Kate's answer without serious
meaning. Whatever its faults (a matter of opinion, perhaps), |>oug's
interview is worth careful re-reading by all Kate fans.

-- Andrew Marvick